Serve in Place: Community-engaged learning during COVID-19
During this global pandemic, we protect each other by staying home and social distancing. At the same time, we’re compelled to do more to support our neighbors, community partners and fellow humans — in our home communities and around the world. We are compelled to Serve in Place.
On this webpage, you’ll find resources to support your community-engaged learning courses and programs and help you adapt projects to address emerging pandemic-related challenges.
Resources and collaborations from OEI
- Social distancing is no reason to stop service learning – just do it online (The Conversation), by Marianne Krasny, professor of natural resources, talking about an e-engagement research project conducted by Yue Li, research associate; Deana Gonzales, undergraduate; and Anna Sims Bartel, associate director, community-engaged curricula and practice, Office of Engagement Initiatives, May 2020
- Serve in Place Opportunities with links to workshops, funding and more, April 2020
- Frequently Asked Questions about Office of Engagement Initiatives grants and programs, March 2020
- Supporting Partnerships in Changing Times, by Anna Sims Bartel, March 2020
- Critical Reflection during COVID-19, April 2020
Online Drop-In Sessions
For faculty and staff
Use the Cornell Community Engagement Educators Listserv to talk to Cornell faculty and staff colleagues about issues related to challenges to teaching, learning and partnerships in the face of COVID-19. (To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “join”.)
Of course, you can always email the Office of Engagement Initiatives at email@example.com with any questions.
Other Cornell Resources
- Center for Teaching Innovation for information on Zoom, Canvas and other remote reaching technologies
- Cornell’s main Coronavirus Updates website
Non-Cornell Resources We Like
- Virtual Volunteering, Lifting Bridges blog
- Coronavirus and the Engaged Campus, Minnesota Campus Compact, March 2020
- Community Based Learning in times of Social Distancing, Isolation and Quarantine, Lifting Bridges blog
- COVID-19: Local-Global Learning and Civic Resources, globalsl.org, March 2020