Student Funding

Community-Engaged Student Travel Grants

Spend winter, spring or summer break engaging with communities domestically or internationally


A break in the academic year is a great time for students to engage with communities and make a real difference — at home and around the world. Community-Engaged Student Travel Grants fund undergraduate, graduate and professional students who are spending winter, spring or summer breaks participating in community-based research activities or community-engagement projects both domestically and internationally.

These grants are intended to support travel for students participating in any of the following:

Course-based engagement activities (faculty-led)

Team-based learning and research projects

Individual community-engaged research projects

Presentations at conferences

Mentored internships

Team-based consulting projects


$1,500 maximum for winter break and summer projects, $750 maximum for spring break projects

Grant awards are distributed in winter (December and January), spring (March and April) and summer (June to August) and they can’t be renewed.

Funds can’t be used toward tuition. However, funds can be applied toward the community project, transportation expenses, a personal stipend or other necessary costs to ensure the project’s success.


Cornell undergraduate, graduate and professional students in any major or graduate field are eligible to apply.

Preference for repeat applicants over one academic year will be given to undergraduates who are pursuing the Certificate in Engaged Leadership.

Graduate students can receive up to $1,500 in grant funding per academic year.

These grants support projects taking place while the applicant is enrolled at Cornell, so students in the final semester of school are not eligible to apply. Exception: Students who have completed the Certificate in Engaged Leadership can apply in their final semester for funds to be used the semester after they graduate.

For Current Grantees

Previous Recipients

Questions about your project?


Phone: (607) 254-4240